Stuffed Pepper Soup (Gina's)
Size:1 1/3 cups soup, 1/2 cup rice
Carb: 37.5 g
Sugar: 6 g
Sodium: 606.3 g (without salt)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 3/4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
In a large pot or dutch oven, brown ground meat on high heat and season with salt. Drain fat if any, reduce heat to medium-low, then add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes on low heat.
Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Serve about 1 1/3 cups of soup in each bowl and top with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice.
Makes about 8 cups.