Mexican Baked Eggs
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese such as jack and cheddar
Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Add the garlic, cumin, chipotle chili powder, and jalapeno saute until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the tomatoes and black beans and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
Place half of the mixture into one or more baking dishes, top with the eggs and spoon the remaining mixture around the eggs.
Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the eggs just start to set, about 5-8 minutes.
Top with the cheese and broil until it melts, no more than a minute or so.