- Coconut Shrimp with Spicy Apricot Dipping Sauce20 min
- 10 min
- 24 shrimp Write the first review .
- INGREDIENTS:•24 uncooked jumbo shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, deveined, tails left intact
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 large egg whites
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, for frying
- SPICY APRICOT DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/2 cup Smucker's® Apricot Preserves
- 1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot mustard, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons teriyaki sauce
PREPARATION DIRECTIONS:1.BUTTERFLY each shrimp by cutting lengthwise slightly more than halfway through, using a small sharp knife (do not cut shrimp in half). Press each shrimp open and press slightly to flatten.
2.COMBINE cornstarch, salt and cayenne pepper in small bowl. Place coconut in a shallow dish. Beat egg whites until frothy in small bowl.
3.ROLL shrimp in cornstarch mixture; shake off excess. Dip shrimp into egg whites, then press into coconut; coating both sides.
4.POUR oil into a heavy large pot to a depth of 3 inches; heat oil to 350°F. Working in batches, add shrimp to hot oil; cook about 1 minute, or until cooked through. Transfer shrimp carefully to paper towels to drain.
5.COMBINE all dipping sauce ingredients; stir until well blended. Serve with shrimp.