Steamed Mussels with Chorizo, Smoked Paprika, and Garlicky Croutons
- 5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, 2 minced and 4 thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
- 1 cup seeded and diced fresh tomato or one 14-1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 oz. Spanish-style chorizo, cut into
- 3/8-inch pieces (1-1/4 cups)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 lb. mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 baguette, cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from FINECOOKING.COM
Combine 3 Tbs. of the olive oil and the minced garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
Position an oven rack about 4 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler on high.
In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sliced garlic and cook until the edges of the onion begin to brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the smoked paprika and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, wine, chorizo, and thyme and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Stir in the mussels, coating them with the sauce mixture. Cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times, until the mussels have opened, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and brush them with the garlic oil, dividing the bits of garlic evenly among the slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then broil, rotating the baking sheet as needed, until evenly browned and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
Discard any mussels that have not opened. Serve the mussels with the sauce and the croutons.
Serve with a Blood Orange and Radicchio Salad with Hazelnuts and Shaved Parmigiano.
nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 820; Fat (g): 38; Fat Calories (kcal): 340; Saturated Fat (g): 9; Protein (g): 44; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 21; Carbohydrates (g): 60; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 4.5; Sodium (mg): 1880; Cholesterol (mg): 95; Fiber (g): 3;
You'll also love
- Roasted Turnips and Mushrooms 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Coconut Curry Shrimp with Coconut... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Potato, Celeriac, and Green Onion... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Red Curry Pulled-Pork... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- ST LOUIS PULLED SIRLOIN ROAST 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Squash, Brussels Sprout, and... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Honey-Pepper Roasted Shrimp with... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Mussels and Clams over shell pasta 4.3/5 (4 Votes)