Beef Short Ribs with Onions
Each Serving: (without toast)
Fat: 50 g
Carb: 15 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 27 g
- 3 lb beef short ribs, cut in 3 inch sections (6 pieces)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly grounf black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium beef broth
- 2 to 3 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1 1/2 lb yellow onions
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- salt and ground black pepper
- 4 3/4 - 1 inch diagonal slices baguette style or French bread
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- fresh parsley
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 75mins
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Sprinkle short ribs with garlic and 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper. In 6 to 8 qt Dutch oven, brown short ribs, half at a time, in hot oil over medium heat, turning frequently to avoid burning garlic. Remove Dutch oven from heat; remove short ribs. Carefully add 1/4 cup reduced sodium beef broth to Dutch oven and return to heat. Cook and stir, scraping up any brown bits. Add 2 cups of beef broth, bay leaf and 1 Tbsp fresh basil. Return short ribs to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until tender.
2. Slice onions crosswise. In a 12 inch skillet, cook sliced onions in hot butter over medium heat for 5 mins. Reduce heat, cook onions over medium-low heat for 25 to 35 mins or until light brown and tender, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt.
3. Remove short ribs from Dutch oven. Strain cooking liquid and discard solids. Skim fat from cooking liquid. In same Dutch oven, combine cooking liquid and cooked onion mixture over low beef broth until it reaches desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Meanwhile, on a baking sheet, place bread slices. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 1 to 2 mins or until toasted. Turn bread slices and divide cheese evenly among bread slices. Broil 1 to 2 mins more or until chees eis melted and bread is toasted on the other side.
5. To serve, place bread slices in bottom of 4 shallow bowls. Divide short ribs among bowls. Spoon broth mixture over beef. Add parsley.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- French Onion Soup 4.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Cheese & Onion Enchiladas with... 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- French Onion Supper Soup 4.4/5 (105 Votes)