Overflowing Stuffed Portobellos
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- Handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Remove stems from mushrooms and set aside. Clean mushroom tops (TIP: Erin uses a mushroom brush) and set upside down on a work surface.
Heat oil in a medium skillet. Chop mushroom stems and add to skillet with zucchini, onion, garlic and vinegar.
Sauté for about 5 to 7 minutes, until onion and zucchini start to soften. Add tomato and roasted peppers and heat through, about 2 minutes. Remove mixture from heat and transfer to a bowl. Stir in basil, bread crumbs and cheese. (If you prefer a drier mixture, simply add more bread crumbs.) Season with salt and black pepper.
Fill mushroom tops with vegetable mixture and bake for 15 minutes or until mushrooms look tender and cheese is slightly melted.
Nutrients per stuffed Portobello: Calories: 181, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 28 g, Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 7 g, Protein: 9 g, Sodium: 285 mg, Cholesterol: 8 mg