Salisbury Meatballs with Mushroom Sauce
- For sauce (see note):
- 6 pounds lean ground beef
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups plain dry bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts beef broth, chicken broth or water
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. Prepare meatballs. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Mix ground beef, garlic, eggs, bread crumbs, milk, parsley, onion, salt and 2 teaspoons pepper in a large bowl, using your hands to mix. Shape mixture into 1- to 1 1/2-inch meatballs; place close together on greased jellyroll pans. Bake 20 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball reads 160 degrees. Cool meatballs.
2. Prepare sauce: Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring until soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in flour; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth and half-and-half; cook, stirring, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Whisk to make a smooth sauce. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Cool sauce.
3. Divide cooled meatballs and sauce among 6 one-gallon freezer bags. Seal; freeze. To cook one entree, completely thaw one bag in the refrigerator. Heat meatballs and sauce to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat; reduce heat to low. Cook until meatballs are heated through; do not boil. Or bake thawed meatballs and sauce in an ungreased baking dish, uncovered, at 350 degrees until heated through, about 30 minutes.
Note: Meatballs can be prepared without the sauce and frozen. To serve, thaw meatballs and reheat in a favorite sauce (such as pasta sauce) and serve with pasta or on Italian bread as a sandwich.
Per serving (6 meatballs with sauce): 401 calories; 23g fat (52 percent calories from fat); 12g saturated fat; 140mg cholesterol; 29g protein; 19g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 645mg sodium.
Adapted from "Fix, Freeze, Feast" by Kati Neville and Lindsay Tkacsik.