Traditional Pumpkin Pie
- 1 pastry for single crust pie
- 1 15oz can pumpkin
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 slightly beaten eggs
- 1 5 oz can [2/3] cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 75mins
Pastry for Single- Crust Pie:
Stir together 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender cut in 1/3 cup shortening until pieces are pea-size. Using 4 to 5 teaspoons cold water, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
1. Prepare and roll out pastry for single crust pie. Line a 9 inch pie plate with the pastry. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate.Fold under extra pastry; crimp edge as desired.
2. For filling, in a mixing bowl combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Add eggs. Beat lightly with a rotary beater or fork just until combined. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and milk; mix well.
3. Place the pastry-lined pie plate on the oven rack. Carefully pour filling into pastry shell.
4. To prevent over browning, cover edge of the pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate within 2 hours; cover for longer storage.