- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 C unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together flour, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves), baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer on low speed. Mix in the vanilla extract.
4. Gradually blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture until it is well combined.
5. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. From here, you can either bake it as a large sheet of cookies to cut later, or, you can use cookie cutters to make cookie shapes. (I used my awesome Williams-Sonoma cookie cutters! I had a bit of trouble rolling the dough and found that if I chilled it for a bit, rolling was easier.)
6. If you choose to bake it as a large sheet, bake for 20-25 minutes. Cut out cookies to shape as desired.
7. If you choose to bake it as shapes, place dough shapes onto parchment paper and bake for 12-15 minutes.
8. Cool on cooling rack before serving. These are best once they have cooled.