Pomegranate Quinoa Pilaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion until translucent and fragrant. Add the quinoa and stir to coat. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, pomegranate seeds, scallions, parsley, lemon juice, zest, and sugar. Add the quinoa and season with salt, and pepper to taste. Garnish with toasted, slivered almonds.