Got this recipe from a friend.
They make a large batch and are so good.
- 2 tbsp dry yeast
- 1/2 cup water (90-100 degrees)
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 6-7 cups flour
- 1 beaten egg
- Flour as needed
Preparation time 300mins
Cooking time 325mins
1. Mix and set aside yeast and water.
2. Bring milk to boil (do not burn) and add sugar, butter and salt. Mix and then cool slightly.
3. In Kitchen aid mixter, add flour and make a well.
4. Add beaten egg to well in center.
5. Add cooled milk also to center.
6. With paddle begin kneading (#2 on machine).
7. Keep pushing flour down.
8. Watch and about 8 minutes check to see if dough is smooth and silky. (should not be sticky)
9. Transfer to a large greased bowl. Cover with a HOT dampened cloth. Place in a warm spot.
10. Double in bulk (app. 2-4 hours)
11. Punch down and knead by hand for a few minutes.
12. Pinch off pieces of dough (about egg size) and roll into samll balls using palm of hands.
13. DO NOT FLATTEN or PRESS DOWN.
14. Place on greased baking sheets.
15. Let rise uncovered in warm place about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
16. Bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes until golden brown (time will depend on your oven)
17. Remove and cool on wire racks