Chicken Casserole 2
- # 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- # 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- # 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- # 1 tablespoon sugar
- # 1/2 teaspoon salt
- # 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- # 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- # 3/4 cup buttermilk
- # 1 egg
- # 1/2 cup melted butter
- Chicken Filling:
- # 2 tablespoons butter
- # 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- # 1/2 cup celery, sliced thin
- # 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- # 1 can cream of chicken soup
- # 1 teaspoon salt
- # 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- # 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1. Mix all except melted butter together in mixing bowl until smooth.
2. Pour into greased 8-inch square baking pan and bake at 375 degrees F for 20 - 25 minutes until done. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
3. When cool, crumble cornbread and place 3 cups of cornbread crumbs in mixing bowl.
4. Add 1/2 cup melted butter to crumbs and mix well, set aside
1. In saucepan on medium low heat, place butter and saute onion and celery until transparent, stirring occasionally.
2. Add chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper. Stir until well blended and soup is dissolved completely.
3. Add chicken; stir and blend until mixture reaches a low simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
4. Place chicken mixture in buttered 2 1/2-quart casserole dish or individual casserole dishes (about four ).
5. Spoon cornbread crumb topping on top of chicken mixture; do not stir into chicken filling.
6. Place baking dish in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 35 - 40 minutes. The crumbs will turn a golden yellow.