Gumbo Gluten Free
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, room temperature (see note)
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (see note)
- 2 to 3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced; if using 3 pounds increase chicken broth
- 1 pound Eckrich skinless beef sausage
- 2 pounds extra-large (21-25) shrimp, peeled and deveined; best results come from Sam's club shrimp
Adapted from cookscountry.com
1. MAKE ROUX Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Toast ¾ cup flour in Dutch oven on stovetop over medium heat, stirring constantly, until just beginning to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Off heat, whisk in oil until smooth. Cover, transfer pot to oven, and cook until mixture is deep brown and fragrant, about 30 minutes. (Roux can be refrigerated in -airtight -container for 1 week. To use, heat in Dutch oven over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until just smoking, and continue with step 2.)
2. COOK AROMATICS Transfer Dutch oven to stovetop and whisk cooked roux to combine. Add onion and bell pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in remaining flour, garlic, thyme, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until dry, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in broth and fish sauce until smooth. Season chicken with pepper. Add chicken and bring to boil.
3. SIMMER GUMBO Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes. Skim fat.
4. FINISH GUMBO Stir in sausage and shrimp and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve. (Gumbo can be refrigerated in airtight container for 1 day.)
MAKE AHEAD: Gumbo can be made through step 3 and refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 days. To serve, bring gumbo to simmer, covered, in Dutch oven. Remove lid and proceed with recipe as directed.