Try Carla's tasty groundnut stew! It's a perfect dish for Kwanzaa.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus 1 tablespoon)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked small red beans
- 3 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz. can) diced tomatoes
- 1 green or poblano chile roasted peeled (seeded and diced small)
- 1/2 habanero seeded and chopped finely (optional!)
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
- 3 tablespoons dry roasted peanuts (chopped)
Cooking time 120mins
In a sauté pan add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cubed sweet potatoes. Season with salt and cook for 2-3 minutes until the potatoes begin to caramelized.
In large pot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic until soft.
Add sweet potatoes, beans, stock, peppers, chiles, tomatoes & spices. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook on low until vegetables are tender (about 35 – 40 minutes).
Take 1/4 cup of the stew stock and place in a small bowl, add peanut butter and whisk smooth. Add mixture back into stew and stir.
Serve stew in bowls sprinkle with chopped peanuts. At the table squeeze lime juice onto soup.