Cajun Kale Soup with Andouille Sausage
Soups can be frozen but save out pastas and rice to add when serving.
- Freeze for up to 8 weeks.
- 6 lightly packed cups chopped curly green kale, stem and ribs removed
- 2 T. evoo
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 oz (2-3 medium links) andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 T. dried thyme
- 1/4 t. allspice
- 1 can (15 oz) chopped or diced tomatoes
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. agave nectar or honey (opt'l)
- 4 c. slightly undercooked brown rice
Cooking time 30mins
1. Bring 10 cups of water to a boil in a large Dutch over or heavy pot. Add kale and boil 5 minutes. Drain in colander and set aside.
2. In the large pot, warm oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and cook until onion is translucent., 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, peppers, sausage, and cook until peppers soften, 5 minutes. Mix in thyme and allspice, stir, and cook 1 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, brother, cooked kale, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until greens are almost tender, 20 minutes. Add salt to taste, and agave (?).
IF freezing stop here--add rice later.
4. If serving immediately, add rice and continue to simmer soup, uncovered, until kale is tender and rice is fully cooked, 10-15 minutes.
You'll also love
- Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Filling 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Sticky Honey Garlic Sauce 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Pressure-Cooker Pork & Beans 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Spinach, Corn, And Carrot Casserole 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Sausage Stuffing (Dressing) 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Fleurty Spinach Artichoke and... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Salad: Kale Salad with Grapes and... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Lentil, Kale, and Quinoa Tacos 0/5 (0 Votes)