Turkey/Chicken Pot Pie
- For the Turkey Filling:
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 medium carrots (cut into 1/2" half moons)
- 2 celery ribs (halved lengthwise and cut on the bias into 1/2" thick pieces)
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprigs rosemary
- 1 leaves sage
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 oz butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 quart turkey/chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups cooked dark turkey meat (pulled in bite-size pieces)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
Divide the dough in half. Roll the dough out 1/4" thick. Place the first half on a parchment covered sheet pan and bake for 15 – 18 minutes in a 375°F oven until golden brown. Allow to cool.
• For the Turkey Filling: In a 8-quart pot, heat 3 tablespoons canola oil. Sauté the onions, carrots, and celery with the thyme, rosemary and sage for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool on a sheet pan. Remove herb stems.
In the same pot, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Gradually pour in chicken/turkey stock, and whisking to stay smooth. Add bay leaves and heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir in vegetable mixture, turkey and peas. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool. This step may be done ahead.
In a large casserole dish, place cooked crust on bottom. Pour turkey filling on top. Place raw crust on top and crimp edges around dish. Brush with eggwash and bake in 375°F oven until bubbling and golden brown.