Roasted Chicken with Saffron & Lemon
The inspiration for this recipe comes from Spain, where saffron has a strong culinary influence. It calls for the chicken to be roasted, but during the warmer months we enjoy preparing it on an outside rotisserie.
- 1 3-lb. chicken
- 1 large pinch saffron threads, toasted
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 ⁄4 tsp. black peppercorns
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Sprigs of rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Wash, then dry, chicken.
2. Grind toasted saffron threads, salt, and peppercorns with a mortar and pestle. Use your fingers to gently separate the skin from the flesh of the chicken. Rub spices over and under the skin, and inside the cavity. Place lemon slices and rosemary under the skin and inside the cavity.
3. Tuck the wings under the back and tie the bird with a kitchen string to hold the legs together for even cooking. Place in a baking pan and roast for 1 hour.