Onion Beef Au Jus
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown roast on all sides in oil; drain. In a large skillet, saute onions in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender. Add the water, soy sauce, soup mix, garlic and browning sauce if desired. Pour over roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Return meat to pan juices. Slice bread in half lengthwise; cut into 3-in. sections. Spread remaining butter over bread.
Place on a baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Top with beef and onions; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with pan juices.
Yield: 12 servings.
You'll also love
- Goat Cheese and Beet Ravioli 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Apple Crisp 2 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Penne with Broccoli Rabe and... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- FRENCH ONION SOUP 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Orchard Chicken & Bacon Pie with... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Pork: Paleo Smothered Pork Chops 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- OutBack Onion Soup 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Zinfandel Braised Beef Brisket... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)