green chili soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. dried whole oregano
- 3 medium boiling potatoes, cleaned and cut into small cubes
- 1 can (7 oz.) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (49.5 oz.) vegetable broth
- 3 oz. reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Coat a 2-quart saucepan with cooking spray; add onion and garlic and saute over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes until onion wilts.
Stir in cumin and pepper; continue to cook 2-3 minutes or until onion starts to show signs of browning.
Add oregano, potatoes, green chilies and chicken broth. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Serve hot with cheese sprinkled evenly over each serving.