Spinach Salad with Fried Egg, Bacon and Mushrooms
Michael Symon's recipe
- 2 Tspn Extra Virgin Olive Oil (more as needed)
- 8 oz Bacon cut into 1-inch by 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 Shallot (thinly sliced)
- 6 oz Cremini Mushrooms (halved if large)
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock or Water
- 6 Tblspn Balsamic Vinegar (more to taste)
- 4 Eggs (large)
- Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
- 8 oz Fresh Spinach Leaves stemmed (about 8 cups looselypacked)
Heat a saute pan glazed with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the bacon pieces and saute them until they develop a crispy exterior but remain tender on the inside, adjusting the heat as necessary, 5-10 minutes.
Add the shallot and saute until it is translucent, another minute or two. Add the mushrooms, and once they begin to soften, after about 2 minutes, add the stock, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan as the liquid comes to a boil.
Reduce the pan liquid by half. Add the balsamic vinegar, bring to a simmer, and then remove the pan from the heat. Taste the pan sauce looking for a proper balance of fat and acidity. If the sauce taste too fatty, add another dash of balsamic. If it's too acidic, correct it with additional extra-virgin olive oil.
Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-low heat. Glaze the pan with the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and crack in the eggs, taking care not to break the yolks. Season each egg with a pinch of salt and some black pepper. Fry the eggs gently until the whites are cooked through but the yolks remain runny. Tip: To cook the eggs faster cover pan with another pan.
Place the spinach in a large bowl. Pour the warm dressing, with the bacon and mushrooms over the spinach and toss until the leaves are wilted and coated.
Divide the spinach salad among four plates and top each with a fried egg. Top dish with a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh cracked black pepper.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Eggplant... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Shells with Crispy Pancetta and... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- ROASTED ASPARAGUS AND MUSHROOMS 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Anja's Famous Spinach and... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Hamburger Goulash - Ground Beef... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Pork Chops and Apple Juice CROCK... 3.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Pork Chops and Mushrooms in a... 4/5 (2 Votes)