Italian Cabbage Casserole
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 223 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 438 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 21 g protein.
*Use fresh oregano. Dried really tasted dried (or use less dried...)
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 pound lean ground Italian sausage
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
• Place cabbage in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
• In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the sausage, green pepper and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
• Place half of the cabbage in an 12 x 12 in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of beef mixture. Repeat layers (dish will be full). Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Yield: 6 servings.