Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded potato
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby Jack Cheese, extra for garnish
- Croutons, for garnish
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
1. Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat.
2. Add potato, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring about 1 minute.
4. Add the flour and cook, stirring about 2 minutes.
5. Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil.6. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
7. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring, until tender, about 10 minutes.
8. Remove the pot from the heat and puree with an immersion blender.
9. Add milk and bring to slight simmer.
10. Add cheese and cook over low heat, stirring, until melted11. Serve and garnish with cheese and croutons if desired.