Fruit-Topped Almond Cake
- 1 3/4 cups Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix (from 18.25-oz box)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, finely ground
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups assorted fresh berries (such as raspberries, blueberries and blackberries)
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted, if desired
1. Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Generously spray bottom and side of 8- or 9-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour.
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, ground almonds, oil, almond extract and eggs with electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
3. Bake as directed on box for 8- or 9-inch rounds. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
4. Place berries in medium bowl. In 1-quart saucepan, heat preserves and apple juice to boiling, stirring frequently. Pour over berries; toss berries until coated with preserves mixture. Let stand 5 minutes.
5. Gently cut off any dome from top of cake, using serrated knife, to make top level. On serving plate, place cake, sliced side down. Arrange berries on cake; drizzle with syrup remaining in bowl. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Store leftover cake covered in refrigerator.