Brown Butter, Ginger, and Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Brown Butter
- 2 cupsplus 2 Tbsp. (4 1/4 sticks; or more) unsalted butter
- 11/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped crystalized ginger
- Unsalted butter (for pan)
- 2 cupsall-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoonbaking powder
- 1 teaspoonkosher salt
- 1 teaspoonground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoonground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoonvanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
• Simmer 2 cups plus 2 tbsp. butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned bits form, 6–8 minutes. Pour into a 2-cup measuring cup. If needed, add more butter to measure 1 3/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp. (added butter will melt). Allow butter to cool slightly but not solidify.
• Whisk flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. brown butter (reserve remaining butter for cake); stir until moist clumps form. Stir in ginger. Set aside.
• Preheat oven to 325°. Butter pan generously. Whisk all-purpose flour and next 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat remaining 1 cup browned butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and thick, 2–3 minutes. Add egg one at a time, beating to blend between additions. Beat in sour cream, milk, and vanilla. Stir in flour just to blend.
• Spoon half of cake batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Scatter 1 cup of topping over. Spoon remaining batter in dollops over; smooth. Add almonds to remaining topping; squeeze to form 1/2” clumps and scatter evenly over batter in pan.
• Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan to release cake. Remove pan sides; let cool completely. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.