green chili chicken enchilada casserole
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken from Costco--the recipe does not require the whole chicken)
- 1/2-1 cup sour cream (low-fat is fine)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans green chile enchilada sauce (1 can of the enchilada sauce will be mixed with the chicken, the other can will be used with the corn tortillas.)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions, some of the green stem included
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas (I used yellow corn tortillas, but white would also be fine.)
- 4-6 cups grated cheddar/jack blend cheese (I used a pre-grated cheese blend.) (Please note that this is a generous amount of cheese and is an estimate. Adjust the amount as per your taste.)
Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, sour cream, 1 can enchilada sauce, green onions, green chiles, cumin, salt, chipotle chile powder, and black pepper. Set aside.
Spray baking dish with a cooking spray.
Pour remaining can of enchilada sauce in a pie plate.
Separate the tortillas into three stacks of four. Tear corn tortillas in half, keeping them in their separate piles.
Dip each tortilla from stack #1 in the enchilada sauce, then place on the bottom of the baking dish. You may have to tear some of the enchiladas into fourths to make them fit better in the dish.
Spread 1/3 of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
Sprinkle 1-2 cups cheese over the chicken mixture.
Repeat steps 6-8 twice more, ending with cheese.
Bake, uncovered, in a 350-degree F oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with finely chopped cilantro.
For a 9" x13" casserole make the following changes:
5-6 cups shredded chicken
3/4-1 1/4 cups sour cream
1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
8 green onions, sliced, including most of green top
1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
15 corn tortillas
6 cups grated cheddar/jack cheese
Following directions as above for preparation and cooking.