Ropa Vieja Shredded Beef
- 2-3 lbs lean, boneless beef (flank or skirt steak, brisket or chuck roast)
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of my taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (I prefer red wine vinegar here)
Trim fat from meat if needed.
In 5-6 quart Dutch oven or pan, over medium heat, add oil.
When oil is shiny add meat and sear on all sides.
Slow Cooker Option: At this point in the recipe, you can move the meat remaining ingredients to a slower cooker and finish cooking it on low for 6-8 hours.
Add remaining ingredients bring up to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat and simmer over low heat until meat is very tender and easily pulled apart; approx. 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
Let meat cool enough to tear into shreds using 2 forks.
Return meat to pan with juices and cook uncovered until liquid is 80% gone, and meat is still moist. (think shredded brisket in a thin bbq sauce)
Use as a meaty main dish, a filling for soft or crispy tacos, enchiladas, & burritos along with your favorite toppings. Also good on a bed of rice, nachos and salads, or along with cornbread and beans. Freezes and reheats well.