- 5 three-inch (8 cm) pieces of cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cardamom seeds
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) whole cloves
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) whole cumin seed
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) whole black peppercorns
Combine the whole spices in a heavy skillet over moderate heat and toast for a few minutes, until they are warm and aromatic. Allow to cool, then pulverize in an electric blender or coffee grinder (that you use exclusively for grinding spices) until it forms a fine powder. This recipe makes about 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) and may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for several months without losing its flavor.