Cajun Style Stuffed Peppers
Amount Per Serving Calories: 301 | Total Fat: 9.4g | Cholesterol: 88mg
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5/8 onion, diced
- 1-1/4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 links of andouille sausage, diced
- 2/3 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1-2/3 cups chicken broth
- 5/8 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 5/8 lemon - cut into wedges, for garnish (optional)
- Louisiana-style hot sauce
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease an 8x12 inch baking dish. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Remove tops and seeds from peppers. Blanch in boiling water 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until translucent. Stir in garlic, and season with oregano, Creole seasoning and black pepper. Stir in shrimp and sausage, and cook until shrimp turns pink, 5 minutes. Stir in rice, and cook 1 minute. Pour in chicken broth and tomato sauce. Cook until thick, 15 to 20 minutes. Fill peppers with stuffing mixture, and place in baking dish.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through. Serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce.