Roasted Potato Salad with Caramelized Onions
- 5 pounds red, white, and blue potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 11 ⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 ⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 ⁄4 cup butter
- 11 ⁄2 pounds onions, sliced 1⁄8-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 ⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (5-ounce) container crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 11 ⁄2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 .In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, blue cheese, sour cream, horseradish, and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate
1.Preheat oven to 450°. Line a large shallow roasting pan with nonstick aluminum foil.
2.In a large bowl, combine potatoes, olive oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, tossing gently to coat. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until potatoes are tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, and cool.
3.In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions; cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover, and increase heat to medium-high. Stir onions frequently until browned, about 10 minutes. Add vinegar, remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper; stir until vinegar evaporates, about 1 to 2 minutes.
4.In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onions, and Blue Cheese Dressing. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.