Sweet, hot and sour tennessee Whiskey Meatballs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup apple jelly
- 1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/3 cup whiskey or apple juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- few dashes of bottle hot pepper sauce
In a large bowl, combine eggs, bread crumbs, onion, milk, salt and pepper. Add sausage and beef; mix well. Shape into about 48 (1 1/4 to 1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until cooked through. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, stir together jelly, mustard, whiskey, Worcestershire sauce and the bottled hot sauce; heat and stir until jelly melts and mixture bubbles. Add meatballs, stirring gently to coat. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly and meatballs are coated.