- APRICOT-PINEAPPLE SALSA:
- 18 uncooked jumbo shrimp (about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Make a slit down inner curve of each shrimp, starting with the tail; press lightly to flatten. In a shallow dish, combine the cornstarch, salt and cayenne; set aside. In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Place the coconut in another shallow dish. Coat shrimp with cornstarch mixture; dip into egg whites, then coat with coconut.
In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
In a bowl, combine salsa ingredients. Serve with shrimp.
Yield: 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Horseradish-crusted Filet Mignon... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Doc's Best Beef Jerky 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemonade Chicken (Slow Cooker) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple Pie (Terry’s Mom’s) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Haddock with Bacon and Onions 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smoked Salmon Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chocolate Coconut Crispies 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)