Haddock with Bacon and Onions
- 2 lbs haddock filet, cut into 4 8 oz. portions
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp softened butter
- 6 slices smoky bacon, chopped
- 8 cippolini, small Italian flat-shaped sweet onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- or 1 med. yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Rinse fish and pat dry. Sprinkle fish with lemon juice and salt. Coat an oven-safe handled large skillet with a drizzle of EVOO and a little softened butter. Set portioned fish into skillet.
Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of EVOO and the bacon. Render the fat in the bacon 3 minutes, then add onions. Sweat and soften onions and garlic 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Add bread crumbs to the pan and turn them to coat them in drippings. Add parssley and capers and combine. Top fish with coating of onions, bacon and bred crumbs. Bake 15 minutes. Transfer to plates and top with chopped tomato.