FRENCH ONION SOUP
- 3 Tbs. Unsalted Butter
- 4 large Sweet Onions , peeled and thinly sliced (1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 Qts. Low-sodium canned Beef Broth
- 2 ribs Celery with leaves, cut in Half
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 Cup Dry Sherry
- 4 to 6 slices French baguette, lightly toasted
- Coarsely grated or sliced Gruyere or other Swiss Cheese
Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add onions and sugar.
Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until onions are lightly caramelized.
(The longer the better, I usually cook around 45 minutes to 1 hour)
Add white Wine and cook over medium-high heat until the wine reduces to about half. Add the broth, celery and salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce the heat to low, cover partially and allow the soup to simmer until the onions are meltingly tender, around 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove and discard celery. Add Sherry and simmer the soup for another 5 to 8 minutes.
Ladle hot soup into crocks, top with toasted baguette and cheese and run under broiler until Cheese is melted. Serve Yummy!