Coconut-Rhubarb Spiced Cake
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, allspice and cloves; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.
Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 12-15 servings.
Editor's Note: If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.