Strawberry Meringue Cake
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, divided
Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, orange juice, egg yolks and orange peel; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread the meringue evenly over cake batter.
Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool in pans on wire racks (meringue will crack).
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Mash 1/2 cup of strawberries with remaining sugar; fold into whipped cream.
Loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife. Using two large spatulas, carefully remove one cake to a serving platter, meringue side up. Carefully spread with about two-thirds of the cream mixture. Slice the remaining berries; arrange half over cream mixture. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator.
Yield: 12-16 servings.
You'll also love
- HOT CRABBIES 0/5 (0 Votes)
- New England Crab Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dehydrate Green Beans for a Snack... 2.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Zucchini Bread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Tilapia with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Old Fashioned Date Loaf Candy 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Frozen White Chocolate & Raspberry... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sauerkraut and Cranberry Meatballs 0/5 (0 Votes)