- 2 tablespoons ol¡ve oll
- 3 leeks, lncludlng light green parts finely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 zucchini (courgettes), sliced
- 3 waxy or all-purpose potatoes about 1 poound total weight, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups (48 fl oz/1.5 l) chicken stock
- 1 cup (6 ozl185 g) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf (ltalian) parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
In a large saucepan over medium heat. warm the oil. Add the leeks and sauté until softened, about 5 minufes. Add the carrots, zucchini, and potatoes and sauté until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and stock, cover partially and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 25-30 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes longer. Stir in the
lemon juice and salt and white pepper to taste. Remove the soup from the heat.
In a blender or food processor, purée the soup ln batches until smooth and return the soup to the pan. Alternatively, process with a handheld blender in the pan until smooth. Return the soup to medium heat and reheat gently. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the parsley. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the lemon zest. Serve immediately.
***I add chicken and a dollop of sour cream***