- 1 cup cracked freekeh
- 1/2 a small red onion, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 medium lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Add 8 cups water and the freekeh to a medium saucepan and boil until tender, about 20 minutes. Strain.
Meanwhile, soak the onions in ice water in a small bowl for 10 minutes. Strain well.
Whisk together the onions, basil, dill, parsley, oil, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add the cooked freekah and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Transfer to a serving bowl and add the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Alternatively, serve chilled, adding an additional tablespoon of lemon juice just before serving.)