White Bean & Chicken Chili
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (one cup chopped)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken (I mix breasts & thighs)
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 (15 oz) can Great Northern beans
- 1 (19 oz) can cannellini beans (white Italian kidney beans)
- 1 (4 1/2 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground white pepper
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
- 2 T cornstarch
- 2 T water
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, for optional garnish
- 1/4 cup sour cream, for optional garnish
Heat oil over medium heat in a 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven or soup pot. Peel and coarsely chop onion, adding it to pot as you chop. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Cut chicken into bite-size chunks, and add it to pot. Add garlic and continue to cook, stirring occasionally.
While chicken cooks, rinse and drain both cans of beans and drain green chilies. Add beans, chilies,cumin, ground white and red peppers and broth to pot. Increase heat to high, cover, and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and water in a small container that has a lid. Shake well to remove any lumps.
When chili boils, chicken should be cooked through. Add cornstarch mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly. Continue to boil until chili reaches desired thickness. Serve garnished with cheese and sour cream, if desired.