Mussels Fra Diavolo
- 1/3 cup minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 28oz can whole San Marzano tomatoes with juice, crushed by hand
- 2 tbls tomato paste
- 3 tsp fresh chopped oregano (2 tsp if using dried)
- 2 tsp fresh chopped basil (1 tsp if using dried)
- 1/3 dry red wine
- 2 lbs mussels, cleaned
- 1 lb linguine
Cook garlic and red pepper flakes in oil in a deep 12” heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring until fragrant but not browned. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and wine and simmer uncovered until sauce is thick, around 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook linguine in salted boiling water until al dente, then drain.
While pasta cooks, increase heat under sauce to moderately high and add mussels, cover and cook until mussels just open wide, checking frequently. Discard any unopen mussels after around 6-7 minutes.
Serve over linguine and enjoy!