Classic Peruvian Ceviche
This classic Peruvian ceviché starts with making the marinade that includes puréed fish with fresh lime juice. Serve with boiled sweet potatoes and corn.
- 1 cup fresh Key lime juice (from 2 pounds fresh Key limes)
- 2/3 cup bottled clam juice
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 18 ounces mahi-mahi or tilapia fillet, cubed
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced red aji limo chile from jar* or minced seeded red jalapeho chiles
- Thinly cut strips of red onion
- 1 6-ounce red-skinned sweet potato (yam), peeled, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, boiled 5 minutes, drained, cooled, optional
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed, optional
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 195mins
Combine 1/2 cup cubed fish (about 2 ounces), 4 tablespoons cilantro, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in blender; puree. Strain into large bowl, pressing on solids.
Add remaining 1 pound cubed fish, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon salt, chile, and red onion strips to puree; stir to coat.
Cover and chill ceviche 1 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Serve sweet potato and corn alongside ceviche.
TEST-KITCHEN TIP: You'll need two pounds of Key limes to yield one cup of juice. Juice limes only halfway; pressing too firmly results in bitterness.
You'll also love
- Lechon Manok – Lemongrass... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Korean Pickles - Oi Moochim... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Parsnip: Raise the Root 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Corn Dog Casserole 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Port Sliders with Goat Cheese and... 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Tomato Cobbler 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Crawfish Bread 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Chipotle Shrimp Cocktail 4.5/5 (12 Votes)