Barbacoa Pot Roast
- 5 POUNDS OF BEEF BOTTOM ROUND (CHUCK OR SHOULDER WILL WORK, TOO)
- 1 CHIPOTLE PEPPER IN ADOBO SAUCE (ONE PEPPER, NOT THE WHOLE CAN)
- 1/4 CUP APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- 1 TABLESPOON GROUND CUMIN
- 2 TEASPOONS DRIED OREGANO
- 1/2 TEASPOON GROUND ALLSPICE (OPTIONAL)
- 2 TEASPOONS GRANULATED GARLIC
- 2 CUPS BEEF STOCK
- 2-3 BAY LEAVES, TORN IN HALF
- 3 CARROTS, PEELED AND CHOPPED
- 2 YELLOW ONIONS, PEELED AND CHOPPED
- SALT AND PEPPER, TO TASTE
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Generously season the beef with salt and pepper.
In a large Dutch oven set over medium-high heat, brown the meat on all sides.
Meanwhile, make a spice paste by combining the chipotle pepper, vinegar, cumin, oregano, allspice (if using), and garlic in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
If You’re Using a Slow Cooker: Place the roast in the slow cooker. Add the spice paste, beef stock, bay leaves, carrots, and onions. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours, until the meat is fall-apart tender.
If You’re Using the Oven: Once the beef has browned, turn the heat off. Add the spice paste, beef stock, bay leaves, carrots, and onions. Wrap a sheet of aluminum foil over the Dutch oven, prick a small hole or two in the top, and cook until the meat is fall-apart tender, 5 to 6 hours.
Remove the bay leaves. Roughly shred the beef with two forks, and serve warm.