Beer Battered Fish and Sweet Potato Fries
This light and refreshing twist on fish and chips pairs brilliantly with Sam Adams Summer Ale
- Sweet Potato Fries:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, skin-on, cut into French fry strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Zest of 1 orange
- Beer Batter:
- One 12-ounce bottle of Sam Adams Summer Ale
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 pounds cod fillets, skin and bones removed, cut diagonally into 4-inch long, 1-inch-wide strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, for sprinkling after frying, optional
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- House Seasoning:
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 85mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
For the fries: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the potatoes in a medium bowl. Whisk together the canola oil, paprika, salt, pepper, corn starch and orange zest and toss with the potatoes to evenly coat. Place the potatoes in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast until the potatoes are tender and starting to brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
Turn the oven up to 450 degrees F and continue roasting until the potatoes get crispy around the edges, 5 minutes longer. Reduce the oven temperature to 200 degrees F and hold the potatoes in the oven to keep warm while cooking the fish.
For the beer batter: Pour the beer into a large bowl. Sift the flour over, whisking in gently until just combined. Pat the fish dry, sprinkle on both sides with the House Seasoning and coat the fish in the beer batter.
For the cod: Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet until very, very hot. Remove the fish from the batter using tongs and allow the excess batter to drip off. Place into the hot oil and fry in batches until deep golden and cooked through, turning once, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. While the fish is still hot, sprinkle with the salt, if using, and drizzle with fresh lemon juice.
Mix together the salt, garlic powder and pepper until well combined.
You'll also love
- Quick and Healthy Turkey Chili 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Low Carb Shrimp Mock Fried Rice 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Broccoli - 30 Minute Broccoli... 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Homemade Potato Noodles 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Lobster Bisque (Spicy) 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Cod with Parmesan Sauce 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Scrambled Eggs, Avocado & Smoked... 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Scalloped Yukon Gold & Sweet... 4.4/5 (18 Votes)