Sicilian Pasta Fasul' – Pasta and Beans
A simple recipe that elicits raves for its flavor.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 stick ot butter (1/4 lb.)
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 2 medium onions, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 green pepper (cut in strips: 3/4" x 1/4")
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano chopped, 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil chopped, 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 quarts of chicken broth or fortified chicken stock
- 1 lb. medium shell macaroni
- 2 14 oz. cans of Progresso cannellini (small white kidney beans) with juice
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
HEAT the olive oil and butter.
SAUTÈ the garlic, onions, green pepper.
ADD 2 quarts chicken broth; reserve one for later.
WHEN BOILING ADD the macaroni
WHEN SHELLS ARE AL DENTE (medium soft, not flabby)add beans with juice. Salt to taste.
Serve with shredded parmigiano cheese, salad, and crusty Italian bread.