potato and corn chowder
- 6 unpeeled medium red potatoes (1 1/2 lb), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 1/2 cups Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ Niblets® frozen corn
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red bell pepper (from a jar), well drained
- 1/3 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 container (6 oz) Yoplait® Greek Fat Free plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 medium green onions, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
1. In 3-quart saucepan, place potatoes. Add water just to cover. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and boil gently (simmer) about 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain. Reserve 1 cup potatoes; return remaining potatoes to saucepan. In small bowl, mash reserved potatoes with fork.
2. Stir reserved mashed potatoes back into remaining potatoes in saucepan, along with broth, sugar, garlic salt, pepper, ground red pepper, corn and roasted red bell pepper. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. In small bowl, stir flour into milk with whisk until well mixed; stir into potato mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and boils. Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat; stir in yogurt, cilantro and green onions. Serve topped with bacon and, if desired, additional green onions.