These fancy latke appetizers are made from matzo and topped with a smoked salmon rosette, zesty horseradish sauce, and chives. They are the perfect appetizer to start any dinner party, festive holiday gathering, or dinner party. This recipe will go perfectly on your Hanukkah spread and is sure to please any large group of hungry dinner guests.
- 2 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup egg matzo, about 6-ounces
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives, plus more for garnish
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 slices smoked salmon, about 1/4-pound, for garnish
- horseradish cream, for garnish, to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet set over medium-high heat. Add onions, and saute until translucent; set aside. Place matzo in a food processor, and process until coarsely ground; you should have 1 1/2 cups crumbs, or meal. Set aside. Place cottage cheese in the clean bowl of the food processor, and blend until smooth.
In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup matzo crumbs, cottage cheese, sauteed onions, egg, and 2 tablespoons snipped chives; season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Place remaining 1 cup ground matzo in a shallow dish. Evenly divide chilled mixture into quarters, and using your hands, flatten each part into a 4-inch round. Dredge in ground matzo, and set aside on a plate.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook latkes, turning once, until browned on both sides. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Roll salmon slices into rosettes. Serve latkes with a dollop of horseradish cream and a salmon rosette; garnish with chives.
You'll also love
- 1897 Eggnog 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Baked Brie with Raspberry Jam,... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Sausage Stuffing 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Tomato Canapés 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Indian Cauliflower Fritters 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Valentine's Thumbprint Cookies 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Italian Easter Pie 4.6/5 (12 Votes)