Can be made ahead of time or frozen. A big hit with my kids!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 29-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces noodles or elbow macaroni
- 2 10 ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup Ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Lightly brown meat in large skillet. Add salt and onion and cook another 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, water and oregano. In another pan, cook noodles until done; drain, add to beef sauce. Combine sour cream and ricotta cheese in a bowl. In a 9x13 pan, layer half of the noodle mixture; add the spinach in a layer and dollop half of the sour cream mixture. Sprinkle mozzarella over the layers Top with remainder of noodles and rest of sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.
I accidently put the whole ricotta mixture on as one layer. It was still excellent.