Sopa de Lentejas Rojas Picantes
Lentil soup is very easy to prepare. It is a good source of protein, calcium, folate, Vitamin A, and fiber. It is filling and delicious. I got the following recipe from a co-worker, and have tweaked it to near "perfection."
"Sopa de lentejas rojas picantes" is Spanish for Spicy Red Lentil Soup.
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 4 jalapeno peppers, chopped (I prefer red)
- 1 cup of onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of green onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped or 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp or 4 pinches cayenne pepper(you can adjust quantity for spiciness)
- 1/2 tsp of your favorite multi-blend seasoning
- 4 1/2 cups of water.
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from macrobioticamediterranea.es
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil
Add your lentils and let simmer on very low heat for about 20 minutes
Saute in olive oil the chopped veggies in small non-stick pan (or saute' in a little water) till soft.
Add the sauteed veggies and 1/2 cup of water to the cooked lentils-- stir, and let simmer on low heat for an additional 15 minutes. Makes about 6-8 servings.