- 1 lb regular flavor pork sausage
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 cups cubed bread
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 thinly sliced green onions
- note: the last three ingredients are optional
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink.
In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well.
Distribute half of the bread cubes evenly in a buttered 13x9x2" baking dish. Sprinkle with half the pepper, half the cheese, half the sausage and half of each optional ingredient. Repeat layering using remaining bread cubes, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the casserole.
Bake, uncovered for 55-60 minutes, or until the eggs are set. Tent with foil if the top begins to brown too quickly.