Garlic Soup recipe (Sopa de Ajo)
- Half a head of garlic, each clove peeled and mashed
- 1/2 a large yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 lb butter
- 6 cups of chicken or beef broth (I prefer the chicken for this)
- Salt and freshly ground white peppercorns to taste
- 1 piece of bread, toasted, per person- can be cubed
- 1 raw egg per person (* optional)
In a large saucepan, saute the mashed garlic and sliced onion slowly in the butter. Don't let the garlic turn brown and bitter. When onions are translucent transfer garlic, onions and butter to a food processor or blender.
Add a small amount of broth and process until onion and garlic mix is all smooth. Return to saucepan and add the rest of the broth and seasonings. If you would like it creamier, substitute some of the broth for half and half or cream.
Place a piece of toast (or cubes) in each bowl and break an egg over it. Ladle the soup over the egg and toast.
(*) If using the raw egg, be sure you know the source and that the eggs are safe.