Spanish Bean Soup
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6-7 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cans of garbanzo beans (do not drain liquid)
- 5 to 6 medium russet potatoes, cubed (about 1 1/2 inches)
- 1 packet of Vigo saffron seasoning
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 quarts of water
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ham bone or 1 pound of cubed smoked ham
- 2 chorizo sausage
Sauté the green pepper and onion in olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté about 1 minute. Add Vigo saffron powder and mix well. Add potatoes and coat with the saffron so they are yellow. Add the beans, water, bay leaves, oregano and the ham or ham bone. Bring to a boil and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 3 -4 hours. If you are using the cubed ham cook until the potatoes are tender. Add the chorizo about 30 minutes before serving.
I love garlic Cuban bread with this soup. I take a loaf of Cuban bread and split it. Slather it with butter and sprinkle with garlic powder. Put it in the oven under the broiler until it is golden brown.